Monday, February 16, 2009

Derivitive Much

I finished wading through Gears 2 last Friday, which I actually started playing on the day it came out, but I have limited gaming time when my son isn't home - and I didn't want to explain to a toddler what a 'headshot' is. Anyway, there's a part (I think at the end of chapter four or the beginning of chapter five) where you are riding on reavers and fighting off a much bigger one called a Hydra. When you are doing this in cramped underground tunnels it's pretty awesome, and he finally gets stuck and can't make it any further. But like any bad Sci-Fi channel movie the monster has to come back for one more scare, so once you are above ground the Hydra pops up for one more go around. You are completely on rails for this fight (you where for the underground fight as well, but it felt better, now it's just a straight line), can fire forward and back, and move very minimally to dodge rocks. It was TOTALLY like the sequence at the end of Beyond Good and Evil, only in this one the Reaver does move in front of you for the occasional rocket hit. The feeling was exactly the same. It felt like a dev at Epic had played through BG&E, pulled out from that sequence what he liked best, and shoehorned it into Gears 2. It was just a strange sense of deja-vu. It was still a fun part of the game that I enjoyed, I just couldn't help it that I felt like I'd already done it before.

No comments: